Monday, November 8, 2010

professor rah's thoughts

Professor Soong-Chan Rah at North Park University's perspective on immigration (I believe it's excerpted from his book, The Next Evangelicalism):

http://profrah.wordpress.com/2010/09/23/excerpt-from-the-next-evangelicalism-on-the-topic-of-immigration/

Two of the more intriguing sections to me because it sheds light on an area that may be of interest to conservative, evangelical Christians (who are, typically, against immigration):

"The question of immigration presents an interesting dilemma for majority-culture Christians. Immigrants and ethnic minorities are saving American Christianity.  Immigrants and ethnic minorities tend to be socially and morally conservative. (If the religious right were committed to overturning Roe v. Wade*, there is an easy solution.  Give citizenship to the 12 million undocumented aliens, who are largely politically conservative and would turn the tide and momentum of the abortion debate).  Immigrant and ethnic minority churches are restoring spiritual vitality and fervor oftentimes missing in many white evangelical churches. Too often, the future of American evangelicalism is viewed as a battle over the heart and soul of middle-America (i.e. – white America), when the restoration of faith in American culture may actually depend on the ongoing growth of immigrant and ethnic minority Christian communities. So what is the response of the white evangelical community to the changing face of America? So far, it has been one of conspicuous silence on the issue of immigration. Many Christian leaders have been hesitant to support genuine immigration reform – possibly reflecting the fear of a non-white America and a non-white American Christianity."

"Evangelicals claim Scripture as having primary authority in a believer’s life and conduct. What then, is the Biblical response to the issue of immigration? In my study of Scripture, I have yet to find a single passage which supports the right to bear arms. (I’m not arguing against the right to bear arms, I’m just saying I can’t find a biblical reference regarding the right to bear arms.) I have, however, found numerous references (close to 100) calling believers to care for the alien among them. Why is it then that I am more likely to find members of the National Rifle Association in a typical American evangelical church than I will find those who advocate for an immigration policy that shows compassion for the immigrant among us? How much of our view on immigration is driven by a political and social agenda rather than a biblical one?"

*this is not a political statement that reflects my views necessarily, just an interesting example.

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing, Leah. I don't know if you'd be interested, but one of the Old Testament professors at Denver Seminary (M. Daniel Carrol R.) published a book two years ago called "Christians At the Border" that deals with a biblical perspective on immigration. Dr. Carrol is Guatemalan-American, so his personal perspective is interesting too.

    It seems like the charicatures on either side of the political aisle are these: Liberals want to open the border to everyone and give amnesty to everyone who's here illegally. Conservatives want to shut down the border and deport anyone with a spanish-sounding last name. Neither is accurate.

    I appreciate Professor Rah's thoughts, though I'm not convinced that the majority of the 12 million (or more) undocumented immigrants would vote republican if they were made citizens. MAYBE on the issue of abortion, but not on the majority of issues. I could be wrong!

    ReplyDelete
  2. jake!

    thanks so much for your thoughts. i will definitely check out dr. carrol's book - sounds wonderful!

    as for the hyperbole made by rah, i think his point is, rather, that it's important that we view these people as people who are perhaps more like us, than not. i think the "conservative" (I know we both agree of the limitation and utility of this label) dialogue around the immigration issue tends to criminalize individuals without documents instead of view them as people with whom they have something in common.

    rah may have a great point on the issue of abortion, though :), especially from what little i have been learning about latino culture and the strong influence of catholicism on their views.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Leah,
    I read your blog often and love to see what the Lord is teaching you. :) I do want to comment on one point you made. Hopefully I am not misunderstanding you. If so, please let me know.

    As a Christian and a "conservative", I am wholly for immigration. Bring everyone in who desires to live in the "land of the free"! Some of the greatest things in the country have been brought to us by immigrants. We are also all created by God and have value in Him.

    My only request is that immigrants enter through the proper channels. We could debate the actual laws and whether they are efficient or what they should be, but the reality is that we have laws and a procedure, which should be followed if you want to become part of our country. Just like there is a procedure or rules for becoming a member of a church. Immigrants, come, add your gifts to ours and enjoy our blessed country...just do it according to this country's laws.

    Whether immigrants are here legally or illegally, I totally agree that all humans should be treated with the love of Christ. However, I do not believe this love means that we ignore wrongdoing. We can still love each other while correcting, striving for righteousness.

    Wow, that got long. I know this is a very emotional issue that has so many facets. My hope is that "conservative Christians" aren't seen as anti-immigration, but anti-illegal immigrating.

    With much love-- Jill

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jill!

    Oh, it is so good to hear from you! I, too, have followed you and your new family and it looks like things are going wonderfully!

    I'm very thankful for your comment and so glad you made it. I think one thing that gets lost in the debate is that 75% (http://www.iiboston.org/resources/faq.htm) of the currently "undocumented" immigrants do come here through legal means. They become undocumented when they do not return home after their visa expires. I know we both agree with the many flaws of current immigration law, and this is one of them. These immigrants petition and come legally, they get established in the United States, begin working and contributing to the economy and often when their visa is up, they are more American than their former culture. They also have contributed their taxes and services to an American economy that they then leave and do not reap from (e.g. social security). What are we to do then?

    I agree with correcting and striving for righteousness, but if the laws/standards we are holding individuals to are not just... is it righteous for us to hold them to it?

    I don't know if you already do this, and please correct me if you do, but I strongly encourage you to meet some of the immigrants in your community and have a conversation with them. I don't suggest you to do it in order to change your views, but I suggest it to you because I think you will see that it's not as simple as "this is right and this is wrong." I wish it was!! I wish there was more gray!

    I, too, realize the emotionality of the issue, particularly because I know many immigrants and care deeply about their well-being, as well as feel terrible for how U.S. policies created the situation they are in.

    Anyway, for whatever it's worth, those are more things to consider, think about and act on.

    Again, so thankful for your response! I assume we can respectfully agree to disagree :), but I do appreciate how your comment has made me think and continue to reflect.

    Much love to you!!
    Leah

    ReplyDelete
  5. *and by more gray, I mean less gray (wishing there was less gray)!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Leah,
    Thank you for your response. : ) I appreciate being able to dialogue respectfully even though we may disagree on some aspects.

    I was not aware of the 75% statistic. That is an interesting avenue that I will be sure to consider. I appreciate you giving me more to think about as well.

    Much love to you as you continue in the work the Lord has for you. May it all be to His glory as I pray mine is as well!
    Jill

    ReplyDelete