Wednesday, September 9, 2009

first report from the windy city

Hi friends!

I hope you are all doing well. It's been quite cool and rainy in Chicago (everyone says that's weird for the month of August) and I've learned that I need to always have an umbrella on hand (the rainstorms sometimes just start out of nowhere!).

The past few days have flown, yet dragged by :). My first few days of transition were just plain painful LOL. But yesterday I had orientation and I was reminded of why I'm here. It was very timely because there was a lot about Chicago I wasn't liking before orientation (no car, walking everywhere, paying for bus fares, the concrete jungle, people squished everywhere) but after orientation things shifted and I think I am going to like it here quite well!

I'm still in the studio with Rachael (my new roommate), but we get to move into our apartment next week. That will be wonderful because there will be more room and the apartment itself is so neat. Hardwood floors, LOTS of natural light and a lake view from two of the windows (one more than the other). Also, classes start next Monday followed by my internship on Tuesday. Once those things get going and we get moved in, it will help in feeling settled.

At orientation, my first aquaintance was a lesbian who is aspiring to be a sex therapist :) (I told her I loved Jesus, she told me she was gay LOL). She was very funny and I enjoyed her very much. I also live right down the street from Boystown (the second largest gay population in America). So I am enjoying having my eyes be opened and learning about all sorts of people. What also I appreciated about orientation is that the second speaker was one of the Jesuits and he actually prayed for us! There is an openness that I value very much. I was fearing that it would be a situation where people were open to everything else except Christianity, but God and spirituality are very much a value here (we'll see how that continues) - so that will provide some interesting conversations in the future.

I also have applied to be a tutor at a Catholic school and a teaching assistant at a Hebrew school LOLOL! I talked to my first rabbi yesterday :).

I guess, overall, I feel like a squeaky and rusty wheel that is starting to get put back into use. Transitioning is hard, but I like how I'm growing and learning from it.

Sorry to make this any longer, but a quick note about my family: My dad's brother (age 50 - who had Lewy Body Dementia, something we're concerned that my dad may have) passed away this past week. I think my dad is doing as well as expected with it. Also, my dad had his first round of tests at the neurologist yesterday and will continue more in the weeks to come. My mom said that September 23rd will be the day we know some conclusions. So please continue to pray for us and the doctors.

Anyway, thank you SO much for your prayers and support. I have definitely been "living on a prayer"... omigosh, that's so cheesy LOL, thanks for the pity laugh. Seriously, though, I would hate to image what things would've been like without your prayers - I am indebted.

I hope all is well with each of you and I look forward to hearing from you!

No comments:

Post a Comment