- meeting with two men from Bhutan. When I introduced myself, a huge look of relief came over the face of the son (I wondered if he was worried that a young, non-Karen speaking girl was taking over his case). I am amazed at their kindness, grace and resilience. Grandfather was a torture survivor. Grandmother had brain surgery right when she came over. She is currently in a nursing home and not very responsive. Son had a kidney removed, but still is taking care of the rest of the family and grandpa. So sweet, great sense of humor. I wanted to help them have a life without need... I also wanted to hug them and never let them go...
- Mayom, a coworker, brought Sudanese treats from a client (and when I say treats, I mean huge aluminum foil containers full of deliciousness...) my favorites were "busta" (not sure how to spell it!) which are Sudanese doughnuts.
- conversation with pharmacist and interaction with seamstress. Though I lived in a small town, I always shopped at Wal-Mart for most of my needs. It's so refreshing and rich to go to the local shops for services... it's also ironic that it's happening in a bigger city...
- Broadway United Methodist Church. This church is right down the street. I'm thinking of getting involved there... I have such a unique opportunity to get rooted in my neighborhood. The church is very inclusive... the logo is the Methodist symbol (cross and flames) with a rainbow :)... I'm not sure how I feel about that... but I love that God's love is the forefront...
- Dinner with 20somethings at a Mediterranean restaurant tonight and breakfast with my fellow interns tomorrow morning...
- My bible reading this morning (I changed pronouns): "When you were a child, I loved you and out of bondage I called you, daughter... It was I who taught you to walk, taking you by the arms, but you did not realize it was I who healed you. I led you with cords of human kindness, with ties of love; I lifted the yoke from your neck and bent down to feed you."

No comments:
Post a Comment