Wednesday, September 9, 2009

small steps... random report

Yesterday I had a breakthrough moment in Chicago. I've been here since... August 18th and it has simply been hard. Loneliness, getting around the city, fear of classes, difficult internship, not being settled... feeling judged because I don't wear skinny jeans... ;).

But, yesterday I went to my internship... full of dread, honestly.
1. It had been difficult to get my mind and heart around what I was doing.
2. Refugees have a ton of red-tape to jump through and there are many cases where we can't do anything for them.
3. I also was having lots of information thrown at me in an unorganized way (which, for the Myers-Briggs "J" in me, was incredibly difficult),
4. didn't feel like I was useful, and
5. my supervisors don't speak English as their first language... so any conversation involved mainly, "Say that again? Sorry, what? Um... huh?"

Anyway, yesterday, September 8th, started off with the theme of "one step forward, three backwards" but then...
- Got some more cases to work on,
- Called some clients to set up meetings (they are so kind and gracious since we don't speak much of the same language),
- Had some good interactions with co-workers (two of them speak Jesus' language!!),
- Had zero problems with public transit...

...though I always happen to be hit on by men as I walk to the bus. This is the third time it has happened. The men happen to be average age of 40, long-haired, bearded and wearing sunglasses. This day, the man was walking towards me and said, "Hm... too tall," and I looked at him quizzically and he said, "No, baby, you're looking good today, lookin' good..." and proceeded to talk by.

nice.

And I went home... felt at peace... and actually liked the city. It was a breakthrough moment, though incredible subtle and understated... it was relieving and welcome.

Small steps. one day at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment