of course, i pray for joy, and the lord answers through hilarious quotations from my professor.
this professor is an african-american female who has her PhD in social work and is also the executive clinical director at an excellent housing/mental health agency.
here are some of the words from her mouth today:
as a warning for us not to be too rigid in the theory we use in therapy (emotion-based therapy vs. person's environment theory). she told us NOT to have an attitude that would say something like this:
"I don't care if you have a black eye, a club foot and just got out of a hurricane. I'm doing family systems therapy."
when talking about the fact that clients always have choices and we need to remind them of that:
"I mean, you can always choose to roll over and die. That's always an option. But, I think, get busy living!"
prefacing an outdated movie we watched:
"Now, don't focus on what they're wearing. The [therapeutic] work is the same if they're wearing Dolce & Gabana."
describing the family we were going to watch in a video:
"His family is a hot mess, as you will see."
telling us what to say in a situation in the video:
"I would say, 'Sit your ass down!'... but don't say it like that."
while reading off the author's of articles we are supposed to read for next week:
"Read the Stalker article... oh, that's an unfortunate name."
...
as with most quotes, they are probably only funny to myself and erika tello. but, i am so glad that jesus is quick to answer prayers. and that he is funny.
...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

It's funny to me too! I laughed pretty hard at the first one, but when I read the quotation to Jake, he basically told me that I was a counseling nerd. Oh well!
ReplyDeleteI'm so glad!!! Counseling nerdiness is an honorable trait, I think :).
ReplyDelete